Things I wish you knew when I tell you this news

 

I want to preface this by saying that this is what is true for me, right now. Maybe in time I will revise this; add to or subtract from it. Everyone’s experience is their own. What feels hard and hurtful to me might not be for another person. This isn’t meant to be a hard and fast, do and don’t list. It’s what I have learned from conversations and interactions. Things I wish I had not said or that I had been brave enough to say. If you said one of these things, it’s not a dig; it’s okay. I still love you. I probably would have said it too. We don’t know what we don’t know. We learn as we live.

Things I wish people would know when I have to tell them I have cancer:

 

1.       I don’t need to know how you feel. You might be sad. You might be angry. But your feelings belong to you. They don’t even come close to mine. I don’t have the emotional energy to help you deal with your feelings.

 

2.       I still want your good news, your normal life chats. I need to feel like I am an equal, valued partner in this friendship.

 

3.       Likewise, I genuinely still care about other people’s problems. I probably won’t cry with you if you tell me your hairdresser cut your hair two centimetres too short… but if your toddler won’t sleep? Your job is shit right now? Your mental health is struggling? I’m here for that. I want to know. I want to support you and I want to listen.

 

 Questions like, “what stage is it?” or “Did they find it early?” are incredibly personal and nosey and, honestly, downright rude. You sound like you want me to reassure you and that isn’t my job. Maybe the answer isn’t what you want to hear, or what I want to say. Let’s just not go there.

 

5.       I don’t necessarily want to talk about it. I spend enough time thinking about it even when I don’t want to. If I’m spending time with you, chances are I’d rather be distracted. There are a lot of questions, and not a lot of answers.

 

  Tell me you love me, that you want to help, that you are there. Follow through. Sometimes it’s hard to ask for help or I don’t know what I need. Feeling loved and valued is the best medicine. Keep showing up.

Comments

Jen said…
Thank you for sharing. You are incredible. I love you.
Amy Mepham said…
Thanks Helen xox

Popular Posts