sunny weekend...

I love Sundays. They are truly excellent and today was a pretty exemplary Sunday. We wandered in Glenfalloch gardens and the sun shone and it was just lovely.




This one makes me think of that song by the Veils, Under the Folding Branches. It's really pretty but really sad.


workbook.

In between my nature walks I have actually been working on my ever-looming-closer presentation. And been thinking about Joanna Paul and her artwork. I saw an exhibition of her drawings at the end of 2007 and it was really a huge thing that made me want to come to art school. Because she did these quietly beautiful drawings and watercolours describing the little bits in life that we skip over quite a lot. Not in a still-lifey kind of way but just documenting what is there. And that is pretty much what i aim to do with the things I make and draw and photograph. Maybe not aim, so much as it's what I seem to do.
Anyway Joanna Paul said some really great things about how she thought it was important to describe things as she saw them because nobody else said exactly what she was thinking or described what she was seeing. And more about the ways objects spoke to her and through her. In my book it says she found grace in unexpected places. (although do you often expect to find grace?)
I am not explaining this well at all but the artworks I love are the ones where they make you see and admire and care about what is drawn or sewn or sculpted... and at the same time as seeing how the artist loved it enough to show it, you can bring your own story too and it has a place.

Why is that you know exactly what you mean but it gets all mangled on the page?

Imagine what it would be like to be one of those people who thinks and reads and listens and takes in so much and doesn't really express opinions all that often. But then when they do they get it spot on, exact, and require no revision or backtracking. Sometimes I try to do the thinking part but I'm not that good at editing.

Comments

Ta maman said…
Wow, my dear Helen, you said a lot there and I think you explained yourself pretty well.
Communication is such a risky business, in a way, because whatever you say/write and however you say/write it, gets decoded by the listener/reader and that depends on how they are feeling and the inferences they take from the work/writing.
Your intention in doing the work may not be what is picked up by the viewer. Do you have any control over that? And does it matter?

And as for grace, it's an utter gift and I tend to think one doesn't "expect" it.
One just needs to be aware enough, conscious enough, to recognise it!

I am really glad that you love gardens and the bush and I love those photos. The detail in every aspect of what can be seen in flowers, trees, feathers of little ducklings, is incredible and I'm delighted that this is what you have chosen to focus on and what feeds your art at the moment. (Don't know if I got that right, but it's how it seemed to me!)

Bisous,

Ta maman

Popular Posts