if you're a bird....


(Birthday card for my beautiful cousin's 21st)

And below, the "last thing", I am currently working on.
Bird-girl. I have a quiet obsession with putting girl-animal hybrids together.



I overheard a snatch of a conversation last year while walking to school: "...like falling to earth" and I have been carrying it around in my pocket ever since, waiting for it to become something.

I wanted to somehow capture the sense that you are freefalling, when you put your love and trust outside of yourself and in another person. Or you might not be falling at all, but flying, but the risk is there, that you begin to sink in the air.

I think that thing about the risk of falling is everything to do with love - you have to leap with faith and belief and honesty and hope beyond yourself and that is one of the most tricky things in the world. Being a risk-averse and paranoid person on the whole, I'm kind of proud that I learned to leap. Or maybe it was more like creeping, but in the end I have made it into the air, I think.
Anyway, who knows how much of what I believe about love I can manage to convey in a bird-girl-freak floating on a thread (she will be cut out) but I know what I mean, which I don't undervalue.

Comments

Popular Posts