Brave

 

7th October 2020

Brave

I’ve been thinking about bravery. What does it actually mean to be brave? It feels like I am supposed to be brave yet most of the time I don’t feel like I have a brave bone in my body at all. Scared, angry, tearful, loving, grieving, apprehensive, joyful, anxious, hoping, in denial… but not brave. But today I wondered if what being brave really is, is staring at the thing you desperately don’t want to do, and knowing that you just have to do it. Taking a deep breath, peeing your pants a little bit because you are so terrified, but leaping into the canyon anyway. Trusting that prayers, hope, friendship, expertise, patience, love and hard work will be enough to carry you. I’m wondering if brave is what we become when we have accepted the truth and the reality of our situation but we also try to let ourselves hope wildly for the best. (Julia Baird describes this idea of the Stockdale Paradox about a thousand times better than I could hope to, in her book Phosphorescence so if you liked that idea you should read that).

I read these words from Krystal, AKA @bagladymama on Instagram, describing her experience of living with chronic bowel disease:

“You will hear it from healthy people all the time... "I don't know how you do it, I would have given up!" That's it though isn't it?! What choice is there? We are fighters, we are warriors…”

I’ve noticed people will often tell you are brave, or amazing, or something else that is the farthest thing from what you feel, when you experience some kind of cosmically shit adversity in your life. Which is very kind of them. But what she says is the truth: “What choice is there?” When everything falls apart, we do the only thing we can. Keep moving. Keep breathing. Keep clinging onto the ones we love. Keep making the toast, and changing the nappies, and replying to the texts. Keep surviving by putting one foot in front of the other. It doesn’t feel amazing. You’re not trying to impress anyone with your super-woman-abilities. You’re surviving.

I decided today that I would believe in my own bravery. That even though I feel afraid, and I’d turn and run if I could, I’ll tell myself I can.

(In the spirit of bravery I’ll go ahead and tell you unashamedly that one of my theme songs for being brave is “I Believe” by Demi Lovato and DJ Khaled and sometimes I sing it to myself: “I can, I can, I will, will… I am, I am, No fear, No fear…” Promise it works.)

 

Comments

Popular Posts