three whole birds






a set of three hand and machine embroidered works for the show at the end of July...

I've been thinking about what I might have to say in defense of these, my choice of subjects, given the rather weighty theme of the brief...

And I've also been thinking about the peculiarity of explaining my work in general. I definitely tend to edit my response depending on who is asking. If you are an interested bystander, not necessarily an "arty" type, I might tell you about how I love birds, I love working in small lines and stitches... To be honest I'd probably just mutter something and change the subject. But if you asked me from an ART prespective, (which I am equally uncomfortable with), I could tell you I thought a bit about grief as I made these, that the repetitive, almost obsessive action of stitching by hand is reminiscent of the way someone who is dealing with upsetting emotions might pick at a seam, or repeatedly smooth the same threads down, the way we look at the same things or gaze out a window, in order to avoid concerned eyes and conversation.
I could say the stitching of those tiny feathers made me appreciate how we are stitched together with utter love and care, and reminded me that it's impossible not to care for something you have created.
Maybe I could try to explain that I wanted to make something hopeful, even as I doubted what I was doing...

That's enough confused explaining for one day I think. I hope you like my fantails and sparrows anyway. Well you don't have to like them. But I hope you look at them!

xo H

Comments

Elaine Dent said…
Truly enjoy your three birds. Wish I could touch the stitching...Your thoughtful comments about stitching working through grief have set me thinking.
Erin said…
Helen they are beautiful. I love birds but it makes me sad that the fantails don't eat the food I put out for them... only the big scary blackbirds and starlings and sometimes a brave silver eye. Any ideas on how I can entice them? I think your explanations make perfect sense too and aren't confusing just thought provoking.
Love you buttercup
Helen said…
thanks elaine and erinny... fantails mostly eat bugs don't they? so maybe if you put out sugar things they will come around to get the flies that want it...
Alida said…
I really love the work you've been doing since art school. I'm so pleased you kept making, so many people drift away from it. Where and when is the show that you're making this work for??
Helen said…
thanks alida!
it's opening tonight! (friday the 29th) at the temple gallery
:)
erin said…
beautiful.

Popular Posts