stitching/mending

I'm working on this for a show around the the idea of Tikkun Olam, a Jewish principle of faith that is usually translated as To Mend the World. (If anyone has more information about this, particularly in relation to the arts, I would love to read it - I found it difficult to find anything relevant with a Google search.)
Anyway I was working on this other idea for it, and kind of struggling, and then I talked to my friend Jo, who is curating the show... She looked through my workbook and alll mydrawings of ducks and other birds and whatnot, and pointed out that she considers those things can be "soul-mending". Which actually I so agree with. And has kind of been the point of my work in the past. So I am grateful for the opinions and thoughts of friends and lookers to steer me in the direction I need...


This is not a beautiful photograph but turns out white on white is rather hard to capture successfully...

Comments

Elaine Dent said…
I follow a blog by a young rabbi. Under the heading tikkun olam

http://velveteenrabbi.blogs.com/blog/tikkun_olam/

are her posts on issues that she has written about hoping to make the world a better place. Not sure how to translate that into art, but you are the artist :-).
Helen said…
thanks Elaine!
Erin said…
Helen I just wanted to say that you are so clever. I love the fantail. I love real ones too, but your one wouldn't flutter away. I also love it when I get letters in the mail from you. They make my day wonderful.

Popular Posts