self...


I've been pondering a bit on beauty and vanity, and pressure on girls to be more than they are... The paintings that I am working on at the moment are exploring these kind of ideas, about perfection and the impossible aspirations we have... and the consequential feelings of not measuring up. We've been making our way through the 1st book of Timothy, and wrestling a bit with what Paul says a woman's role is. The Message has a really nice translation of one part though:
...I want women to get in there with the men in humility before God, not primping before a mirror or chasing the latest fashions but doing something beautiful for God and becoming beautiful doing it.
(1Tim 2:9-10)

It's a good perspective to have, and compared to older translations of these verses, actually makes sense and encourages, rather than listing Don'ts for girls.

Anyway... I shall be thinking and drawing and painting on these things.

Comments

Erin said…
I came here and there were three posts to see! Oh how it made my day. I like your bird pictures they make me feel happy. Your face on top of your face is slightly scary and feels a little bit like the scariness that accompanies clowns... And gosh that wee fantail is just the cutest. Ok I must go home now.
Loves
Elaine Dent said…
Love your self-portrait...and the quote from the message. You're right; not that verse does make more sense in a positive, not judgmental way.
Elaine Dent said…
oops...meant "now that verse"

Popular Posts