felting


We learned felting yesterday. I wasn't very good at it. But here is someone I made out of my unimpressive felted wool.

* * *

I've started researching and exploring fairy tales as a way of looking at narratives and stories. I think this is a nice way to start because these are universal stories that contain the themes that I want to explore, ideas about relationships, love and loneliness, life and death, girls and boys.
I picked Cinderella becuase it's always been my favourite, so I'm just working on ways of representing, and what I want to show...
Fairy tales also enter into thoughts about originality, because the more you research, I think the more you find that there is no one "original". Which to me is reassuring, beacause the version you know is yours, one person can't own the story. You can take the story and tell it how you want, and you can take it simply as a story, or you can look for concealed meanings and representations, for deeper themes and messages. I don't really know o=if what i will end up with is a fairy tale or something completely other, but it's reassuring to have some concrete place to go back to when I start feeling lost. Plus a lot of my previous work has had some element or feeling of a fairy tale in it I think, like the trees, the strange beasts, the girls that are good and bad, and not always what they first appear...

Comments

Popular Posts